Each week we showcase a talented Houstonian in “My Top 5,” where they have a chance to share their own favorites things to do in and around H-Town. This week we check in with Kam Franklin, lead singer of Houston’s own gulf coast soul band The Suffers.
My Top 5 Things to Do in Houston
by Kam Franklin
- The Orange Show – During the cooler months of the year, this is one of my absolute favorite places to visit. It’s beautiful, weird and one Houston’s best kept secrets. If you have a chance to catch one of the concerts they put on here, do yourself a favor and go. There’s nothing else quite like it.
- Barhop and hangout on the 3700 Block of Main Street – Once upon a time, I worked at Tacos A Go-Go during the day and gigged at The Continental Club at night. Years have passed since that time, but it’s still one of my favorite blocks to hang out on. You can hear all sorts of live music at The Alley Kat, Shoeshine Charlie’s Big Top Lounge or The Continental Club. You can get cleaned up at Big Kat’s Barber Shop or you can catch up with an old friend at Double Trouble. Don’t even get me started on the food at Natachee’s! I love that place.
- Catch whatever is going on at Discovery Green – This is truly one of my favorite places in Houston. There’s always fun events going on there and it’s beautiful. If you’re trying to save money, Discovery Green is usually your best bet because most of their events are free!
- Open Mic Night Comedy at Warehouse Live on Tuesdays – I try to go and support my friends at their events whenever I get a chance. One of my favorite free and local things to do in town is watch comedy. Since I spend most of my weekends gigging, any opportunity to take in other forms of art is always a win for me. Rudyard’s has a pretty great open mic on Mondays, but the Tuesday night at Warehouse Live is definitely my favorite.
- Khon’s – Sometimes you want to go where everybody knows your name. For me, that place is Khon’s. There is always different artwork on the walls from the latest art show, local musicians putting on intimate performances, or dominoes matches going on. The bar is pretty simple. They only serve beer,wine and sake, but to me, it’s the best damn beer, wine and sake in town.
About Kam Franklin
Kam Franklin is the lead singer for Houston’s popular band The Suffers, which delights people with its original gulf coast soul music. She won the Houston Press Music Award for Best Female Vocalist in 2012, the same her band was named Best New Act and best Reggae/Ska/Dub. Before joining The Suffers, she toured with the London-based group The Very Best as a vocalist and dancer. Click here to see The Suffers’ upcoming shows and follow them on Facebook and Twitter.