Save on clothing, shoes, school supplies and backpacks at the three-day Texas Tax Free Weekend 2014, happening everywhere in Houston from Friday, August 8 through Sunday, August 10, 2014.
It’s time again for the State of Texas’ annual Sales Tax Holiday during the back to school shopping season. During the three-day weekend, the normal 8% sales tax is not collected on staples that are needed for going back to school.
Many retailers also mark the event with sales of their summer stocks, so a savvy shopper is liable to save much more than the eight percent tax break.
What’s included in the Texas Tax Free Weekend
The list includes most clothing items and shoes, school supplies and backpacks that cost less than $100. Each individual item must be less $99.99 or less for the tax to be waived. However, there is no limit to the number of items below $100 that you buy. During this weekend, tax will be waived on all of them.
Full tax will be collected on any item that is priced at $100 or higher.
- Clothing and Shoes Exceptions – Any clothing or footwear that was primarily produced for athletic or protective purposes, and are not commonly worn casually, are excluded. For example, football pads and golf cleats have very narrow uses, for athletic purposes only. They are not included in the tax holiday. Since tennis shoes, jogging suits and swimsuits are commonly worn for non-athletic activity, they are included.
- Backpack Exceptions – Only backpacks under $100 produced for elementary or secondary educational use are included. They must have two straps and can be worn on the back. Messenger bags are also included. All other personal bags are not. No more than ten backpacks can be purchased at a time unless the buyer has an exemption certificate.
- School Supplies – All school supply items under $100 which are designed for elementary or secondary qualify. Any buyers purchasing the supplies under a business account, they must obtain an exemption certificate.
Texas Tax Free Weekend 2014 in Houston
- Dates: All day Friday, August 8 through Sunday, August 10, 2014
- Locations: All retailers across the state of Texas