Have a dram of your favorite whiskey or drink up for the very first time on “World Whisky Day,” a global event with origins in the United Kingdom, at great whiskey and cocktail destinations around Houston on Saturday, May 17, 2014.
The cheeky “Whisky” spelling is a sure giveaway that this whiskey-loving holiday had it’s origins in the celtic lands north of England, which is only fitting as it follows its namesake liquor into bars, pubs and restaurants around the world. Although there are no real official “World Whisky Day” events in Houston just yet, there’s no shortage of special stops around the city that trade in the oaky beverage.
East Downtown / EaDo
- Reserve 101 – Houston’s headquarters for all things whiskey offers a selection of over 330 fine whiskeys from counties such as Austria, Canada, France, India, Ireland, Japan, Tasmania, Wales and Scotland at their convenient downtown location.
Uptown / Highland Village
- Kiran’s Restaurant and Bar – With a very extensive selection of scotch, Kiran’s on Westheimer offers single malts from the main regions of Scotland; Islay, Skye, Speyside, the Western Highlands and the Lowlands. Patrons can enjoy single malt brands including Lagavulin 16, Talisker, Glenmorangie 10, Balvenie 12, Glenlivet 12/18, Oban 14 and Glenkinchie 12; blended brands like Dewars, Dewars 12 and Chivas Regal; and cognacs including Courvoisier VS and Hennessey VS and Hennessey Paradis.
- Captain Foxheart’s Bad News Bar and Spirit Lodge – Find a curated selection of tasty fine whiskeys at this popular speakeasy above Main Street’s 300 block. After grabbing your drink at the bar, try to grab a spot on the balcony and watch the evening settle in, with the sights and sounds of people and the METRORail below.
- The Refinery Burgers and Whiskey – Go as you are at Houston’s main roadhouse whiskey bar, located just west of Downtown and I-45 on Dallas. Put your feet up on the patio or chill inside at this roadhouse. Order a burger to go with the whiskey and you won’t regret it.
- Anvil Bar and Refuge – It’s hard to go wrong with a cocktail of any sort at Houston’s poster child bar for craft cocktails features an evolving collection of specialty whiskeys on its wall. Head over in the afternoon or early evening so you’ll be sure to get a spot at the bar or in a booth. Tell your bartender what you like in a whiskey drink and settled in for the ride.
- Grand Prize Bar – Keep it low-key for World Whisky Day at this funky neighborhood bar. With mainstream and curated whiskeys available, you’ll be able to find flavors with the right level of oak.