Each Monday, we highlight enterprising Houstonians who share their five most favorite things to do in Houston. This week, we checked in with entrepreneur Elizabeth Harrison Cooper, founder and owner of Crave Cupcakes and creator of one of Houston’s most popular pastries.
My Top 5 Things to Do in Houston
by Elizabeth Harrison Cooper
- Simone on Sunset – This after dinner spot is the perfect bar to relax for an intimate nightcap. It’s located on Sunset just a block east of Kirby Drive amidst houses that have been converted into businesses. It’s quaint, cool and totally unexpected.
- Craftex – You don’t have to be crafty to love this spot, but you just might want to get your craft on once you step in. It’s hidden in a warehouse off of Hillcroft near 59 and you can get anything from ribbon, bags, flowers and vases to coffee table books. It’s wholesale only.
- Balsamic Poached Eggs at Adair Kitchen – This is a dish you cannot get anywhere else. It’s exactly what it says it is, two poached eggs, with a drizzle of balsamic glaze on top, served with a parmesan roasted tomato and grilled asparagus … simple and delicious.
- Real Thai Massage – The façade doesn’t scream spa, but it is the best massage you can get in town. It’s located on San Felipe just inside the loop and next to the railroad. You can literally call an hour before and book 60 minutes of “totally you” time. They do walk on your back, but if you are squeamish about this idea, you can opt for the traditional Swedish Massage.
- Main Street Theater children’s shows – What a great introduction to the theater for children as young as three years old. We try to make it to all of their performances. The actors line the hallway afterward each show and sign programs in character.
About Elizabeth Harrison Cooper
Elizabeth founded Houston’s own Crave Cupcakes, which has been voted “Houston’s Best Cupcake” three years running by Houston Press. She started with her grandmother’s recipe and since spawned into two Houston locations featuring a vast array of her homemade-tasting cupcakes. You can visit Crave in Uptown Park and on Kirby Drive and even order them online with nationwide shipping.