Strap on those ice skates and head out onto the largest outdoor ice skating rink in the Southwest at The Ice at Discovery Green, open daily in Downtown through Sunday, February 2, 2014.
Expanded to 7,716 square-feet using recoiled water from Kinder Lake, Houston’s de facto winter sports headquarters offers a wide variety of seasonal programming for both skaters, spectators and other people-watchers. Throughout the course of the season, and most given weeks, you can expect to skate along to outdoor movies, live music and DJs, and with Santa Claus himself. Musical theme nights focus on jazz, latin and pop hits. Adding to the festive holiday mix will be special ice carvings and art installations.
Off to the side, you’ll also find a dedicated, toddler-friendly rink known as the Ice Box. Hot cocoa and Belgian waffles are available for purchase.
Weekly Theme Events at The ICE at Discovery Green
- Mondays | Cheap Skate Nights – Enjoy skating for just $5 per person. Click here for more details.
- Tuesdays | Jazz on ICE – Skating Jazzman Jawad hosts as other jazz greats join in. Click here for more details.
- Wednesdays | Latin Nights on ICE – Skate to sizzling latin tracks spun by Mega 101’s Valentin Gallegos and enjoy $1 tacos from the Lakehouse when you show your ICE wristband. Click here for more details.
- Select Thursdays | Hot Nights on ICE – Skate along with the beats DJs from Hot 95.7 and Mix 96.5 Click here for more details.
- Fridays | Friday Night Flicks – Enjoy movies while you skate or just take in the free flick. Films include classics old and new, including It’s a Wonder Life, The Guardians, National Lampoon’s Christmas Vacation, A Christmas Story, About a Boy, Despicable Me 2, Smurfs 2, The Chronicles of Narnia: The Lion the Witch and the Wardrobe and more. Click here for more details.
- Saturdays in December | Skate with Santa – Click here for more details.
Click here to check for upcoming events at The Ice and Discovery Green. On weekends and school holidays, skating time is limited to an hour and a half.
Note that the ice rink may be closed unexpectedly due to weather conditions including heat, lighting or rain. On very warm days, the rink may open late so that the ice may be covered until 3:30pm.
The Ice at Discovery Green
- Date: Friday, November 22, 2013 through Sunday, February 2, 2014
- Times: Monday to Thursday 4pm to 10pm; Friday to Saturday 11am to 11pm; Sunday 11am to 8pm. Closed December 18. Holidays, school holidays and other select days have special hours. Click here for a detailed list of hours by date.
- Location: Discovery Green, 1500 McKinney St, Houston, TX 77010
- Admission: Free to visit and attend events. Skating is $12 per person, including skate rental and tax. On Monday nights, skating is $5 for Cheap Skate Nights.
Photo courtesy of Discovery Green