Each Monday, we highlight an enterprising Houstonian who shares his or her five most favorite things to do in Houston in “My Top 5.” This week we hear from Houston artist, gallery owner and mixed media events planner Dandee Warhol, who shares his five favorite pastimes in the Bayou City.
My Top 5 Things to Do in Houston
by Dandee Warhol
- Going to art openings and concerts – The Houston art and music scene is pretty immense and culturally diverse. Pretty much every weekend, as well as on most weekdays, there’s an art show or a music concert going on. So Houston is pretty entertaining and inspiring if you’re looking for something to do any time during the week. It’s especially true with the creative spaces we have that host these awesome events, like Museum of Fine Arts, Houston, Lawndale Art Center, the Menil Collection, Warehouse Live, House of Blues, Mangos, and Avant Garden.
- Checking out new restaurants – There are tons of new restaurants and bars opening up in Houston, even highly acclaimed chefs and foodies have been migrating here from across the nation. And most of the time, they’ve been hitting it on point and doing well such as Uchi, MF Sushi, Batanga, El Big Bad, Pistolero’s and many more.
- Hanging out in the Montrose strip – Montrose have been around for decades and it’s not going anywhere. This little unique neighborhood carries the most diverse bars, coffee spots, clothing stores and even tattoo shops. It’s a hub for artists like myself and musicians who regularly hang out at one of the many dive bars like Boondocks, Etro, Catbirds, and Poison Girl. Or you can find me sipping coffee and meeting people at Brasil, Agora, or even Blackhole (although that’s not in Montrose).
- Biking and running through the parks – Relaxing at one of the many parks in Houston is one of my favorite past times in the city. From biking and laying down under the trees at Menil Park, catching a free show at Miller Outdoor Theater, and even riding through Discovery Green. And if you want to take it further and get your fitness on, a nice run in the Buffalo Bayou Park or Memorial Park will definitely get you in shape while enjoying the surrounding beauty.
- Meeting new people – One thing that we Houstonians are well known for; we are friendly and good hosts. I’ve had friends and family from every part of the world who praise us and were very surprised about how the people in Houston are so friendly and eager to help. I find this very true because I’m always involved in a social setting and Houstonians are typically a friendly group – especially to people from out of town. We have that mentality to show others how great the city is, including the people.
About Dandee Warhol
Dandee is a full-time artist and the founder of War’Hous Visual Studios, an art gallery, creative studio and event space located in the heart of the Museum District showcasing and supporting underexposed local artists. Born in the Philippines, Dandee grew up in Houston after moving here with his family in 1989. He considers himself a true Houstonian today. An active member of the art community, Dandee hosts and curates art shows, events, mixers, music concerts and even fashion shows. “This is something that I love to do. I will always promote Houston as the best city in the country,” Dandee told us. To learn more about Dandee’s Houston projects, events and endeavors, visit War’Hous Visual Studios or follow him on Twitter @WarHousDandee.
Photo credit: Ryce Yanez Photography