In our Where to Happy Hour series, we search Houston’s vast array of neighborhoods for the very best libations.
In the Northwest corridor just inside the 610 loop, you’ll find the largely residential neighborhoods of Lazybrook, Timbergrove, and Shady Acres. The area was originally settled by German farmers in the late 1800s, and today you’ll find original bungalows and modest cottages alongside new development, parks and retailers, and some pretty stellar happy hour spots.
Where to Happy Hour in Lazybrook, Timbergrove & Shady Acres
- The Barking Pig – This neighborhood patio bar offers weekday happy hour—$4 wells, 50 cent-off beer, $5 house wines and sangria, $6 frozen cocktails and $18 carafes—in addition to daily specials. Smash $12 pork chop plates on Monday nights, down $10 Angus burger plates alongside $2 Lone Stars and trivia on Tuesdays, and get free pizza with the purchase of a bottle of wine on Sundays (the full list of specials is available online). Monday through Friday 4pm to 7pm. Click here for directions.
- Cane Rosso – If you like your happy hours with a side of pizza, you’re in luck. Cane Rosso offers two of its Neapolitan-style pies for $5 (the Margherita and the Marinara) and two pizzas for $7 (the sausage-topped Emma and hot soppressata-dressed Ella). Wash it down with $5 house cocktails, $5 select red and white wines by the glass, and $3 Peronis. Monday through Friday 5pm to 7pm. Click here for directions.
- Cedar Creek Bar & Grill – Get a taste of the Hill Country at this sprawling patio and bar, where in addition to daily happy hour, there are also daily specials. On Mondays, stick around for reverse happy hour and steak night; Texas Tuesdays offer $3 to $4 Texas-made beverages; Wednesdays mean $3 to $4 whiskey; Thursdays bring cheap-ass beer, and Fridays offer “greasy lips fried chicken.” Daily 4pm to 7pm. Click here for directions.
- Hughie’s Tavern & Grille – Nothing is more Houston than a craft beer bar that serves Vietnamese pub grub, from crispy egg rolls and banh mi burgers to lemongrass chicken and shaking beef fried rice. Hit the watering hole for weekly specials, including but not limited to Mondays $9 spicy crawfish fried rice with $3 beers (5pm to 10pm); Wednesday’s $2 fire sale (3pm to 10pm) and $10 steak burgers (5pm to 10pm); and Friday and Saturday’s reverse happy hour on $3 select drafts (9pm to 11pm). Daily specials. Click here for directions.
- King’s Bierhaus – This Shady Acres outpost of Pearland’s King’s Biergarten is just as hot as the original. Here, you can find the same German and Austrian-kissed eats (from brats to schnitzel), plus some excellent happy hour prices. Sip $6 biers and $7 house cocktails while you share a few $5 plates—think giant hot and fresh beer pretzel, gourmet deviled eggs with fried chicken schnitzel and bacon jam, and Bavarian fried pickles with specialty dips. And be sure to check out the weekly specials, including Sunday’s tipsy ping-pong tourneys, Monday’s whiskey roulette, Tuesday’s bike and running club, Wednesday’s trivia night, and Thursday’s reverse happy hour. Monday through Friday 3pm to 6pm. Click here for directions.
- Rainbow Lodge – Set in a historic log cabin on an acre of absolute beauty, this rustic lodge is the perfect place to unwind. Hit the bar for $5 house martinis, $6 to $10 featured wines, $3 domestic and craft drafts, and $3 to $6 bar snacks, including the house-favorite smoked duck gumbo, pulled pork sliders, pesto grilled shrimp, and fried Texas quail bites on cheddar grits. Tuesday through Friday 4pm to 7pm. Click here for directions.
- Other great options – Treat yourself to pizza and wine at Crisp; hit the food truck, swing set, and cheap drinks at McIntyre’s; and check out weekday happy hours at Down the Street, the hip neighborhood bar and eatery that sits a few blocks south of the Lazybrook/Timbergrove border, and Presidio, sitting just east of the Lazybrook/Timbergrove border and boasting a charming string-lit patio.