Every Monday, our My Top 5 series showcases Houston tastemakers and influencers, sharing their favorite things to do in Houston when they aren’t hard at work. This week, we’re pleased to present Ryan Levy, sommelier, chef, and co-founder of The Nice Winery.
My Top 5 Things to Do in Houston
by Ryan Levy
- Rice University – My alma mater is one of my favorite places to take people to show them Houston’s beauty. Whether laying on the statue we owls affectionately call “180” in the engineering quad and watching the clouds pass by overhead, or attempting to climb the statue of University founder William Marsh Rice “Willy” so you can sit in his lap, a walking tour of the campus (especially when the azaleas are in bloom) is a must. Go Owls!
- Houston Rodeo Champion Wine Garden – The Houston Livestock Show and Rodeo has awarded over 17,000 scholarships to Texas students. Thats over $47 million! As a former Rodeo Scholarship Recipient, I always make sure to support our local Rodeo and drink plenty of our Rodeo Reserve Grand Champion Nice Winery Notorious Malbec at the Rodeo Wine Garden.
- Foodie Floats on Buffalo Bayou – Foodie Floats is an occasional series of pontoon boat tours on Buffalo Bayou, through the city’s 23-acre waterfront park, featuring local chefs and food purveyors. When they’re being offered, it’s a great way to see the bayou and enjoy libations and haute cuisine. Past Foodie Floats have featured Houston Dairymaids, Cuchara, and St. Arnolds Brewing.
- Rodeo Uncorked Best Bites – This annual one-night-only event brings together the city’s best restaurants and the champions of the Rodeo International Wine Competition for a “taste-off” where guests vote for their favorite dishes of the night. It is the premier foodie event for Houston wine lovers.
- Armand Bayou Nature Center – Houston is home to the largest urban wildlife preserve in the United States. Both the canoe tour and the wildflower tour of our city’s 2500 acre wetlands preserve are not to be missed. I love to visit in the springtime when the wildflowers are in full bloom.