Discover everything you need to know about the Houston and Galveston celebrations of the 152nd anniversary of Juneteenth and the 154th anniversary of the Emancipation Proclamation with our handy guide to 2017 Juneteenth celebrations in Houston.
Juneteenth marks June 19, 1865, the date that the news of the Emancipation Proclamation first reached Texas and was read aloud in Galveston, two years after it had become U.S. law.
We pulled together some key events this weekend in both Houston and Galveston and added a few extras from Saturday, June 10 through Juneteenth, Monday, June 19, 2017.
Juneteenth Celebrations in Houston & Galveston
Saturday, June 10, 2017
- Miss Juneteenth Pageant at Trinity UMC – Young ladies and gentlemen, ages 3 to 19, learn poise and courtesy while exhibiting their talents for awards and recognition at this Juneteenth Pageant at Trinity UMC. Tickets are $8. 2pm to 4pm.
Wednesday, June 14, 2017
- “The Making of The Underground Railroad” at 1838 Menard House in Galveston – This program will feature musical performances, presentations on key figures of the Underground Railroad, and a coded quilts exhibit. Students aged 6 through 18 are welcomed for free, but must be accompanied by an adult chaperone. Space is limited and reservations are required. 8:30am to noon.
Thursday, June 15, 2017
- Children’s Historical FunDay at Emancipation Park | FREE – Bring the kids to learn all about the history and importance of Juneteenth with storytelling, arts and crafts, and games at Emancipation Park. 2pm to 5pm.
Friday, June 16, 2017
- Freedom All Stars Talent Show at Third Ward Multi-Service Center | FREE – Young people ages 5 to 19 compete for the Emancipation Park Freedom Awards at the Third Ward Multi-Service Center. 10am.
- Juneteenth Lecture Series: An Evening With Dr. Eddie Glaude Jr. at First Presbyterian Church | FREE – Dr. Eddie S. Glaude, Jr, the William S. Tod Professor of Religion and African American Studies, the Chair of the Center for African American Studies at Princeton University, and author of several books and publications, gives a talk at First Presbyterian Church in Galveston. 6pm to 8pm.
- 5th Annual Juneteenth Celebration at Bruno’s Triangle 7 Arena – Celebrate Juneteenth with a performance from Keith Frank and The Soileau Zydeco Band, DJ Big Baby and DJ Chad, vendors, and a cash bar at Bruno’s Triangle 7 Arena. Tickets are $10 for presale and $15 at the door. 7pm.
Saturday, June 17, 2017
- Houston’s Juneteenth Parade at Texas Southern University | FREE – Bring your family and friends to enjoy live music, marching bands, dance performances, floats, and more. Visitors will meet at 9am at the TSU gym (Wheeler at Ennis Streets) and begin west on Wheeler toward Emancipation Avenue then march north on to the Re-Dedication Celebration at Emancipation Park. Parade begins at 10am.
- Re-Dedication Celebration at Emancipation Park | FREE – Emancipation Park, located in the historic Third Ward neighborhood, hosts a Re-Dedication Celebration with live music, vendors, and other festivities following the Juneteenth Parade. 10am to 5pm.
- Juneteenth Not Yet Uhuru: 5th Annual Freedom and Music Festival in 5th Ward | FREE – This celebratory festival will be a day of fun and games for the kids filled with good music led by “Tighten Up” fame R&B artist Archie Bell, vendors, African drumming, and more at the 5th Ward Community Garden. There will also be a panel discussion on the plight of African people all over the world. Noon to 8pm.
- Juneteenth Celebration Parade in Galveston | FREE – The city of Galveston hosts their annual Juneteenth Celebration Parade beginning at 7pm. This year the Parade will begin at the crossstreets of 20th and Strand before traveling west on Strand to 25th Street. 7pm to 9pm.
- H-Town Get Down at Miller Outdoor Theatre | FREE – Bring your friends for an evening featuring DJs, and visual artists including rapper K Rino, spoken word artist Outspoken Bean, Inertia Dance Company, and more at Miller Outdoor Theatre. 8:30pm.
Sunday, June 18, 2017
- Gospel Fest & Father’s Freedom Panel in the Emancipation District – See a gospel performance featuring Emancipation Park area churches along with a panel in the Emancipation District in Third Ward. The exact location is still TBA. 1pm to 5pm.
Juneteenth, Monday, June 19, 2017
- 145th Juneteenth Celebration at Emancipation Park | FREE – The City of Houston hosts the Juneteenth Celebration Re-Dedication Ceremony with Mayor Sylvester Turner along with live entertainment, art, vendors, and more at Emancipation Park in the historic Third Ward district. 9am to 5pm.
- A Gulf Coast Juneteenth: Mavis Staples in Concert at Miller Outdoor Theatre | FREE – A Gulf Coast Juneteenth, Miller’s beloved blues and Creole music festival, will feature iconic American rhythm and blues singer, actress, and civil rights activist Mavis Staples, plus legendary musicians Milton Hopkins & the Hit City Blues Band and J Paul Jr & the Zydeco NuBreedz. 7pm.