Published weekly, our My Top 5 series highlights Houston entrepreneurs, creators, and influencers and reveals their favorite things to do in Houston in their time off. This week, at the start of the summer camping and grilling season, we’re very pleased to feature a special double edition featuring the Katy-based co-creators of FireDisc portable grills, Griff Jaggard and his brother Hunter. Click here to see Hunter Jaggard’s My Top 5.
My Top 5 Things to Do in Houston
by Griff Jaggard
- Whiskey Cake Kitchen & Bar in Katy – I am a big fan of good bourbon whiskey and if you have not yet been to Whiskey Cake, they have one the better selections. Their store in Katy recently opened and I can attest they also have some amazing food. They have plenty of TVs inside so if your favorite team is playing, you so don’t pass up a trip to Whiskey Cake
- National Multiple Sclerosis Society – Lone Star Chapter in Fulshear – My brother and I started a bike team for Multiple Sclerosis called the MS 150 Carney Men after I was diagnosed with Multiple Sclerosis in 2002. Since inception we have raised more than $1 million to fight MS. In developing this team and organization, we have become very involved with the local chapter. Every year, we get every rider who’s involved trained up physically to the task of riding a bicycle 150 miles from Houston to Austin over two days. The National MS Society is made up of a great group of people who spend every day helping others with MS and taking us closer to a cure.
- Boyert Shooting Centers – I personally love to shoot my firearms at Boyert Shooting Centers. They have two locations. One in Katy and one in West Houston. They offer LTC classes along with many group training classes for all skill levels. They have a spectacular range that can accommodate all firearms, offer great memberships, and have just about any supplies and firearms you need.
- Buc-cee’s – Most Texans and or Houstonians know about Buc-ee’s. Well, our dream has come true and we are now getting a brand new Buc-ee’s in Katy. The new Buc-ee’s, located off of I-10 near Cane Island, will feature more than 100 gas pumps and up to a 60,000 square foot store. Bonus: Buc-ee’s mega stores have been a great dealer of FireDisc Cookers.
- Armadillo Palace on Kirby Drive in Houston – A Goode Company favorite, this is one of my favorite spots to go. I’ve been going to see live music at this place for years, plus they have amazing food and great drink specials. The folks over there recently renovated the place so they could accommodate larger musicians and events. They did an amazing job.
About Griff Jaggard
Griff Jaggard is president and co-founder of FireDisc Cookers, which manufactures and sells portable propane cookers. Designed for outdoorsmen, the three-piece cookers are stored flat, easy to assemble, and adapt to uneven surfaces. Griff invented FireDisc with his brother Hunter after becoming frustrated with the lack of grills that accomodated an active outdoor lifestyle. A graduate of Texas Texas, Griff lives in West Houston with his wife Jessica, daughter Campbell, and son Case.