Make the most of your week with our top 17 event picks happening in Houston from Monday, May 15 to Sunday, May 21, 2017.
Happening in Houston This Week
Also in May 2017
Cheer the Dynamo on from afar, see John Legend sing live, catch a show, sample whiskey and/or beer at a tasting event, see pro dancers Julianne and Derek Hough perform, check out a Minecraft exhibit and more happening this week in Houston.
Top 17 Things to Do This Week in Houston
- Fun Home at The Hobby Center | Starts Tuesday, May 16 – TUTS presents the Tony Award-winning musical Fun Home, based on Alison Bechdel’s best-selling graphic memoir, which explores the relationships within a family, for mature audiences only at The Hobby Center. Tickets start at $38.50 but you may find limited discounted tickets starting at $36.90. Tuesday to Thursday 7:30pm; Friday 8pm; Saturday 2pm and 8pm; Sunday 2pm and 7:30pm.
- Dynamo Watch Party at Under the Radar Brewery | Wednesday, May 17 – Head to Under the Radar Brewery to watch the Houston Dynamo play Philadelphia Union. Wear your Dynamo gear and enjoy happy hour pricing during the game. 6:30pm.
- Gardening Workshop with Skip Richter at McGovern Centennial Gardens | Wednesday, May 17 | FREE – Get tips on vegetable gardening from Texas Agrilife’s Skip Richter at this free small space gardening class at Hermann Park. 6pm to 7:30pm.
- Houston Whiskey Social at HSR Event Center | Friday, May 19 – Sip on specialty single barrel whiskeys from around the world – including an exclusive private barrel bottled specifically for this event – and enjoy hors d’oeuvre pairings at this fundraising event. Tickets start at $75, not including ticket fees. 7pm to 9:30pm.
- Julianne & Derek Hough Live at Smart Financial Centre | Friday, May 19 – Dancing brother-sister duo Julianne & Derek Hough will come to Houston to perform their new show Move Beyond at Smart Financial Centre in Sugar Land. Tickets start at $55, not including ticket fees. 8pm.
- The Elixir of Love at Miller Outdoor Theatre | Friday, May 19 and Saturday, May 20 | No Cover – Watch the hilarious opera The Elixir of Love, which will be performed by Houston Grand Opera in Italian with projected English translation, under the stars at Miller Outdoor Theatre. 8pm nightly.
- Houston Astros vs. Cleveland Indians at Minute Maid Park | Friday, May 19 to Sunday, May 21 – Get loud for the ‘Stros when they take the field to play Cleveland in this three-game series at Minute Maid Park. Tickets start at $15, but you may find cheaper or better seats on TicketNetwork’s resale site. Friday 7:10pm; Saturday 3:10pm; Sunday 1:10pm.
- Houston Greek Fest at St. Basil The Great Greek Orthodox Church | Friday, May 19 to Sunday, May 21 – Say “opa!” with thousands of other festival-goers at Greek Fest where you’ll nosh on authentic dishes, shop goods from vendors, tour the church, let the kids play, watch cultural dances and more. $5. Friday and Saturday 11am to 10pm; Sunday noon to 5pm.
- Houston Press BrewFest at Silver Street Station | Saturday, May 20 – Sample more than 150 beers while you fill up on grub from local food trucks and live music fills the air at Houston Press’ BrewFest. Tickets start at $25, not including ticket fees. 3pm to 7pm.
- Bayou Jamboree & Crawfish Boil at Market Square Park | Saturday, May 20 – NOLA is coming to Houston with this afternoon festival featuring live music, Cajun eats from Treebeards, crawfish, and beer at Market Square Park. 3pm to 7pm.
- Houston Roller Derby Doubleheader at Revention Music Center | Saturday, May 20 – Watch as The Brawlers take on Psych Ward Sirens, and The Valkyries go head-to-head with the Bayou City Bosses in this hard-hitting doubleheader at Revention Music Center. Head to Lucky’s Pub in the Heights for the after party. Tickets start at $15, not including ticket fees. 6pm.
- The Marx Brothers Movie Night at Kenny & Ziggy’s New York Delicatessen Restaurant (Galleria) | Saturday, May 20 – Nosh on popcorn, M&M’s, animal crackers, and deli eats from Kenny & Ziggy’s as you watch a screening of the Marx Brothers’ 1930 film Animal Crackers at their Galleria location. $32.95. 6:30pm.
- Jessica Lang Dance at the Wortham Theater Center | Saturday, May 20 – SPA brings Jessica Lang Dance to the Wortham for a performance showcasing a collaboration between a choreographer Jessica Lang and architect Steven Holl and featuring specially designed sets. Tickets start at $43, but you may find limited discounted tickets for $21.50. 8pm.
- Minefaire: A Minecraft Fan Experience at NRG Center | Saturday, May 20 and Sunday, May 21 – Immerse yourself in the world of Minecraft at this two-day exhibit where you’ll meet YouTubers, participate in build battles, attempt world records, learn from the world’s top Minecraft experts and more. Tickets start at $79, not including ticket fees. 10am to 5pm both days.
- In the Mood at The Ballroom at Bayou Place | Sunday, May 21 – The Houston Chamber Choir along with the Richard Brown Band will take you back to the Big Band era in this concert at The Ballroom. $36. 4pm.
- Cochon 555 at Hughes Manor | Sunday, May 21 – This foodie event brings 5 chefs, 5 pigs, and 5 winemakers together for a competition to see who will make the best bites using every part of the pig. The event will also feature a ramen, dessert and tartare bar. Tickets start at $125, not including ticket fees. 4pm to 7:30pm.
- John Legend in Concert at The Cynthia Woods Mitchell Pavilion | Sunday, May 21 – Hear singer-songwriter John Legend perform songs from his latest album Darkness and Light live at this show in The Woodlands. Tickets start at $42.50, but you may find cheaper or better seats on TicketNetwork’s resale site. 7:30pm.
You can also search our interactive event calendar by date, location, and category.
Be sure to subscribe to our free daily email and weekend planner emails and receive our picks for great things to do in Houston in your inbox daily or once a week.
Click here to sign up.