Take in a show that you can’t miss with 9 performances that are sure to get your May started on the right foot.
Also in May 2017
From a classic comedy of class and manner to the tale of four elderly women in rural Mississippi on the eve of the country electing its first black president, there are plenty of performances to choose from this month.
Still looking for more entertainment this month? Visit our Event Calendar for a more comprehensive list.
Top 9 Must-See Plays & Arts Performances this Month in Houston: May 2017
- You Can’t Take it With You at A.D. Players | Thursday, May 4 to Sunday, May 28 – This classic comedy of class and manners proves some things – like love and knowing your family is crazy – are truly timeless. Tickets range between $15 to $68, not including ticket fees; limited discounted $14 tickets are available for select shows. Thursday to Saturday 7:30pm; Sunday 2pm.
- Circo Avenida at Avenida Houston | Friday, May 5 to Friday, May 26 | FREE to Attend – Acrobats, contortionists and more will take to the street to showcase their talents as part of a series of outdoor events along Houston’s newly opened Avenida in Downtown. Get ready to be dazzled. Fridays at 7pm to 10pm.
- Spring Fling Burlesque at The Heights Theater | Saturday, May 6 – A celebration of beauty is on display here, with performers from across Texas and North America paying tribute to the flowers and frolicking of spring in a burlesque setting. Ages 18 and older only. Tickets range between $25 to $250, not including ticket fees. 9pm.
- Front Porch Society at the Ensemble Theatre | Saturday, May 6 to Sunday, June 4 – This world premiere examines what happens to four elderly women in rural Mississippi on the eve of the country electing its first black president. Tickets range between $23 to $50, not including ticket fees. Wednesday to Thursday 7:30pm; Friday to Saturday 8pm; Saturday 2pm; Sunday 3pm.
- Lobby Hero at Studio 101 | Thursday, May 11 to Saturday, June 3 – 4th Wall Theatre Company presents this acclaimed “dramedy” that sees tensions in a New York apartment building rise amid a murder investigation that will strain loyalties of all involved. Tickets range between $15 to $49, not including ticket fees; limited comped (you just pay the ticketing fees) and discounted tickets available to select shows. Thursday to Saturday 7:30pm; Sunday 3pm.
- Fun Home at The Hobby Center for the Performing Arts | Tuesday, May 16 to Tuesday, May 28 – TUTS presents this musical based on Alison Bechdel’s best-selling graphic memoir, which took home five 2015 Tony Awards and became a beloved show about figuring out your family and finding yourself along the way. For mature audiences only. Tickets start at $38.50 but you may find limited discounted tickets starting at $36.90. Tuesday to Thursday and Sunday 7:30pm; Friday to Saturday 8pm; Saturday and Sunday 2pm.
- The Elixir of Love at Miller Outdoor Theatre | Friday, May 19 to Saturday, May 20 | FREE to Attend – Houston Grand Opera brings to life Donizetti’s beloved comic opera, a love-struck peasant tries everything he can to win the love of the village beauty, including purchasing a love potion from a shady traveling salesman. 8pm.
- Jessica Lang Dance at the Wortham Theater Center | Saturday, May 20 – Presented by the Society for the Performing Arts, this performance by one of the country’s leading ensembles combines the forms of architecture and dance. Tickets start at $43, but you may find limited discounted tickets for $21.50. 8pm.
- In the Mood at The Ballroom at Bayou Place | Sunday, May 21 – The Houston Chamber Choir and the Richard Brown Band bring back the days of Big Band swing and retro-glam. Get dolled up, head Downtown, and if the mood strikes you, feel free to cut a rug. Tickets are $36, not including ticket fees. 4pm.