Expand your favorite kiddos’ understanding of the world through fun, interactive, and meaningful activities at the ExploreAsia Summer Camps starting in June throughout August 2017 at Asia Society Texas Center.
Featuring a wide variety of camps designed to engage students with Asian culture, this summer day camp program places an emphasis on being as interactive as it is educational.
Set at the Asia Society Texas Center in the heart of the Museum District, ExploreAsia Summer Camps offers different workshops for ages 6 to 14, providing chances to dive into art, history, dance, and more.
Children will have a chance to take the stage after learning all about traditional/contemporary dances as well as create their own original short stories after taking inspiration from their favorite Japanese comics (or mangas). These options just scratch the surface of camp programming.
2017 ExploreAsia Camp Session
- Be the Change: Exploring Culture Through Children’s Connections | Monday, June 5 to Friday, June 9 – Investigate social issues and challenges in Asia while exploring their global impact. Students will engage in research and develop potential solutions to these global issues. Recommended for students ages 9 to 13. 9am to 3pm daily.
- The Dances of India | Monday, June 12 to Friday, June 16 – Children will learn and perform an original dance piece inspired by traditional and contemporary Indian dances. Students will study the history of Indian dance, clothing, costuming, and create their own props to use for the performance. Recommended for students ages 6 to 12. 9am to 3pm daily.
- Unveiling the East | Monday, June 26 to Friday, June 30 – Kids will have the chance to discover the cultural treasures of Japan, Korea, and China. Students will learn about the close relationships and influences of these countries. Recommended for students ages 6 to 12. 9am to 3pm daily.
- Manga Style | Monday, July 10 to Friday, July 14 – Children and teens will draw inspiration from popular Japanese comics to create original short stories. Students will explore the dynamic images and complex storytelling of mangas while also learning about the evolution of the medium. Recommended for students ages 9 to 14. 9am to 3pm daily.
- Oceanic Adventure | Monday, July 24 to Friday, July 28 – Dive into activities focusing on Oceana and the South Pacific islands. Kids can learn about Micronesia, Polynesia, and the trade of cultures and goods among the islands. Recommended for students ages 6 to 12. 9am to 3pm daily.
- The Dances of China | Monday, August 14 to Friday, August 18 – Learn and perform an original dance piece inspired by traditional and contemporary Chinese dances. Students will study the history of Chinese dance, clothing, costuming, and create their own props to use for the performance. Recommended for students ages 6 to 12. 9am to 3pm daily.
ExploreAsia Summer Camps 2017 at Asia Society Texas Center
- Dates: Varying dates starting Monday, June 5 through Friday, August 18, 2017. Click here for a complete schedule.
- Times: 9am to 3pm for all applicable days
- Location: Asia Society Texas Center, 1370 Southmore Blvd, Houston, TX 77004
- Parking: Free street and paid lot parking is available in the surrounding area
- Admission: Registration is $275 for non-members; $225 for members.
For each camp session, a $30 discount will be applied per additional child registered. Click here to register now, for a complete schedule, or for more information.
This post was sponsored by Asia Society Texas Center. Per our sponsorship policy, we only accept sponsored content from businesses that meet our editorial standards and truly present a valuable activity, resource, or destination for residents and visitors across the greater Houston area. This revenue directly supports 365 Things to Do in Houston and our contributors, allowing us to expand our coverage of activities and events around the Houston area. Click here to learn more about advertising your event, business, product or service.