Spring is in session and Houstonians are ready to get out and enjoy it. Luckily, this month is blossoming with culinary delights.
Also in April 2017
April in Houston brings a few things; mainly barbecue, whiskey, and crawfish. And for the first time this year, it also brings ooey, gooey, and super cheese macaroni n’ cheese.
From the inaugural Mac & Cheese Festival to a day of wine and music on the bayou, don’t miss this month’s lineup of tasty happenings.
Top 11 Food & Drink Events in Houston this Month: April 2017
- 4th Annual Houston Whiskey Festival at Bayou City Event Center | Saturday, April 1 – Get a taste of single malt, blended scotch, bourbon, rye, and double-oaked selections—plus rum, tequila, wine, beer, and liqueur—at this fourth annual whiskey-fueled festival. In addition to superb whiskey, guests can expect seminars from master blenders and distillers, a serious cigar lounge, and live music. Tickets are $65 for general admission, $35 for designated drivers and $125 for VIP. Cocktail Dress and blazers are required (business attire at minimum). 6pm to 10pm.
- 5th Anniversary Street Food Carnival at Underbelly | Sunday, April 2 – Underbelly is celebrating five years of success with an anniversary street food carnival. And in true Houston style, its globally-themed. Get Korean-style whole hog ssam, vindaloo pani puri, barbecue brisket, Vietnamese shrimp and rice paper salad, and discada tacos. There will also be carnival games, including balloon darts, a dunk tank and “hug booth” with Chris Shepherd, plus free popcorn, cotton candy, and sno-cones. Admission is $45 and includes five food tickets and three game tickets. Kids 12 and under are free. 1pm to 4pm.
- Houston Press Menu of Menus at Silver Street Station | Tuesday, April 4 – The annual Menu of Menus is the tasting session of the season, with unlimited food samples from over 40 restaurants, beer, wine and cocktail samplings, and the show-stopping Iron Fork Chef Competition. This year’s competitors are Lyle Bento of Southern Goods and Gary Ly of Underbelly. Tickets start at $55 for general admission (prices will increase), with VIP tickets available. 7pm to 10pm.
- Sugar Land Wine & Food Affair | Thursday, April 6 through Sunday, April 9 – Highlights of the annual wine and food extravaganza include an Italian Invasion Dinner (Thursday), Cured & Fermented Learning Experience (Friday), Grand Tasting (Friday), Sip & Stroll (Saturday and Sunday). Click here to see the full lineup of events and purchase tickets.
- Brenner’s Wine Fest at Brenner’s on the Bayou | Saturday, April 8 – Hit the picturesque lodge and lawn on the bayou for a day of live music, local bites, and wines from award-winning vineyards. Sip and savor as you enjoy smoked suckling pig sliders from Brenner’s on the Bayou, quail tacos from Cadillac Bar, mini lobster rolls from Brenner’s and more. Tickets are $75 pre-sale or $85 day of, with VIP tickets also available. 21 and up. 3pm to 6pm.
- Houston Barbecue Festival at NRG Park | Sunday, April 9 – The 5th Annual Houston Barbecue Festival features fan-favorite barbecue joints, including Blood Bros. BBQ, CorkScrew BBQ, Gatlin’s BBQ, Gerardo’s, Harlem Road Texas BBQ, Killen’s Barbecue, Lenox Bar-B-Que, Louie Mueller Barbecue, Pappa Charlies Barbeque, and The Pit Room, to name more than a few. Tickets are $60 and include entry into the festival and unlimited sample portions from each participating joint. The first four festivals sold out before the day of the event, so act now if you want to secure a spot. 1pm to 4pm.
- Mac & Cheese Festival at Silver Street Studios | Saturday, April 15 – Cheese lovers, rejoice. Houston finally has its own Mac & Cheese Fest. Over two dozen local Houston restaurants will face-off for your vote of Houston’s Best Mac & Cheese, handing out unlimited samples alongside adult refreshments. Guests can also expect music, entertainment, and games/activities to keep the fun going. Tickets are $50 for general admission with unlimited samples and five drink tickets; or $80 for VIP (featuring quick entry, access to a VIP area and t-shirt). Noon to 3pm.
- CultureMap Tastemaker Awards at Asia Society Texas Center | Tuesday, April 18 – CultureMap’s annual Tastemaker Awards celebrates local talent in the bar and restaurant community. Hit the swanky event to mix and mingle with fellow foodies, watch as the winners are unveiled and enjoy bites from the nominated restaurants. Tickets are $55 ($45 early bird pricing through March 31) and include tastings and 3 premium drinks, with 10 percent of each ticket sold going to No Kid Hungry. 6pm to 9pm.
- Picnic in the Park at Evelyn’s Park | Saturday, April 22 – Celebrate Earth Day and the grand opening of this beautiful, five-acre park in Bellaire. Culinary treats will include a mini farmers market, picnic baskets and a select menu from the park’s café, The Ivy & James at Evelyn’s Park, plus wine and beer tastings and a food truck zone. 11am to 5pm.
- Throwdown Texas Burger & Music Fest at Town Green Park | Saturday, April 29 – This second annual burger throwdown benefits the Montgomery County Food Bank. Enjoy a day featuring live music, burgers, a kid zone, family-friendly activities, shopping, a burger competition, food trucks and vendors, entertainment and plenty of fun. Tickets are $10 (ages 14 and up) and include four burger samples. 11am to 8pm.
- Texas Crawfish & Music Festival at Preservation Park | Saturday, April 29 and Sunday, April 30 – Hit Old Town Spring for a day of country, zydeco, and mudbugs. The fest also features carnival rides, games, a petting zoo, and alligator theme park. Tickets are $12 at the gate ($5 for children ages 6 to 12). Saturday noon to midnight; Sunday noon to 6pm.