Each week, our My Top 5 series highlights a Houstonian who is shaping the culture of the city and making an out-sized impact on its character. In turn, each shares his own favorite things to do in Houston when not hard at work. This week, we’re very pleased to feature Katie Mehnert, CEO and Founder of Pink Petro. On International Women’s Day, Wednesday, March 8, 2017, Katie will celebrate two years of business and hold the HERWorld Energy Forum at Rice University and in 15 cities across the globe.
My Top 5 Things to Do in Houston
by Katie Mehnert
- Sunday mornings at the HOP – The House of Pies is hands-down my favorite place for some Southern Cheese Grits and a cup of coffee with my kiddo Ally and hubby, Mark. The only problem with “the HOP” is we need one out West. You think you can help me with that one?
- Biking the Terry Hershey Park Trail – My passion and business is energy – and I have a ton of it. And I love my life and work in the Energy Corridor. I launched my business in 2015 and moved in 2016 to Republic Square, which is three miles door-to-door each way from my home to office. With the Terry Hershey Park trail steps away, it’s perfect for ditching the car and all the drama it comes with commuting in Houston.
- Giving back to Houston – I am a proud member of the Board of Directors for the Junior Achievement of Southeast Texas and my company works with the students at the Energy Institute High School. I really enjoy helping to young adults realize their potential, build self-confidence, and to give them experiences that will prepare them to be successful global citizens.
- Date night dinners with the hubby and kiddo – I love to get out and have a good meal with my husband. Our favorites include Sylvia’s Kitchen and Monica Pope’s Beaver’s, and our family favorites are Star Pizza on Washington or MOD Pizza Memorial out west.
- Getting my run on with Kenyan Way – Whether I’m training or not, I run Saturday mornings with The Kenyan Way. The group has always motivated me to train healthier and Sean Wade, our coach and marathon record-holder, is a real inspiration. I’m not super-fast but I get up, give it my best, and finish.
About Katie Mehnert
A Houston transplant, Katie Mehnert is the CEO of Pink Petro, a global career community busting the gender gap in the energy industry. Katie is a Top 40 under 40 and in 2016 was named Outstanding Woman in Energy. Katie is a mom, wife, community builder, and runner who built a global career at Shell and BP until 2014 when she decided to give entrepreneurship a “go”. On International Women’s Day, Wednesday, March 8, 2017, Katie will celebrate two years of business and hold the HERWorld Energy Forum at Rice University and in 15 cities across the globe.