Strap on those ice skates and head out onto the largest outdoor ice skating rink in the Southwest at The Ice at Discovery Green, open daily in Downtown through early February 2017.
At 7,716 square feet, the Ice at Discovery Green clocks in as the largest outdoor skating rink in the Southwest. Made from water recycled from the park’s Kinder Lake, the rink is the defect headquarters for outdoor winter fun in Houston, presenting a wide variety of seasonal programming for skaters and spectators alike.
Throughout the course of the season, and most given weeks, you can expect to skate along to outdoor movies, live music and DJs, and with Santa Claus himself. Musical theme nights focus on jazz, country and pop hits. Adding to the festive holiday mix will be special ice carvings and art installations.
Off to the side, you’ll also find a dedicated, toddler-friendly rink known as the Ice Box. Hot cocoa and Belgian waffles are available for purchase.
Weekly Theme Events at The ICE at Discovery Green
- Select Mondays | Cheap Skate Night – Enjoy skating for just $7 per person on select Mondays from 4pm to 10pm. Cheap Skate Night is not held on Houston ISD vacation days. Click here for more details.
- Select Wednesdays | Date Night with Jazz on Ice – Enjoy the smooth tunes of Houston’s own Jazzman Jawed. The music is free to enjoy. 7pm to 9pm. Click here for more details.
- Thursdays | Screen on the Green – Take in free holiday and family films over the ice. You can bring chairs and a blanket and find a spot on the hill, or lace up and skate while you listen to the flick. 7pm. Click here for more details.
Click here to check for upcoming events at the Ice and Discovery Green. On weekends and school holidays, skating time is limited to 90 minutes.
People in non-motorized wheelchairs are welcome to enjoy the rink in their chairs, when accompanied by a responsible adult at all times while on the ice rink. Access for wheelchair visitors is free. The accompanying adult must pay the $14 skating fee.
Note that the ice rink may be closed unexpectedly due to weather conditions including heat, lighting or rain. On very warm days, the rink may open late so that the ice may be covered until 3:30pm.
The Ice at Discovery Green
- Date: Tuesday, November 22, 2016 through at least Sunday, February 5, 2017
- Times: Monday to Thursday 4pm to 10pm; Friday to Saturday 11am to 11pm; Sunday 11am to 8pm. Holidays, school holidays and other select days have special hours. Click here for a detailed list of hours by date.
- Location: Discovery Green, 1500 McKinney St, Houston, TX 77010
- Admission: Free to visit and attend events. Skating is $14 per person, including skate rental and tax. You can secure online tickets in advance for $17. On select Monday nights (not during school breaks), skating is $8 for Cheap Skate Night.