In our weekly My Top 5 series, we feature Houstonians who’re actively shaping the city and its character. In turn, they reveal their own favorite things to do in Houston when they’re not hard at work. This week, we’re very pleased to feature Lisi Karras, co-owner and director of operations at RYDE indoor cycling in the River Oaks Shopping Center.
My Top 5 Things to Do in Houston
by Lisi Karras
- Brasserie 19 – My go-to spot. I love going there after work and meeting up with the girls to sit on the patio and split a bottle of Miraval rosé. We hang out there for hours. The cotton candy dessert is also a must!
- Events Gifts – I just got engaged, so I’ve been very busy wedding planning – thankfully, my fiancée, Ray Garcia, is a VP at Events Gifts. It’s perfectly placed right next door to Brasserie, so I spend a lot of time in there looking at the registry and working on stationary, invitations and save the dates. Ask for Hollis Reardon in bridal stationary; she’ll point you in the right direction.
- Defy Pilates – When I’m not at the studio and looking for a workout, I love going to Defy. I taught Pilates for about six years in California, and their concept is very close to what I used to teach. They have great classes for beginners, experts and everything in between.
- Houston Astros Games – My fiancée and I love going to Astros games at Minute Maid Park. We usually get there early to grab some beers, and I love the train after the home runs. Not being from here originally, it’s so great to see the Texas camaraderie when everyone sings “Deep in the Heart of Texas” together during the Seventh-Inning Stretch. I think that’s so cool – I’ve never seen something like that before.
- Milk + Honey Spa – A fantastic spa located right off Kirby and Westheimer at West Ave. They have great spa treatments, and I like to splurge there a little bit for rest & relaxation. Olga gives the best massages – she’s great for any athlete or anyone who cycles as much as I do!
About Lisi Karras
A native of Orange County, California, Lisi Karras is co-owner and director of operations at RYDE indoor cycling in River Oaks Shopping Center. She moved to Houston in 2015 to open RYDE, bringing with her more than six years of experience in the indoor cycling industry and six years as a Pilates instructor. RYDE is hosting their annual RYDE for a Reason fundraising event on Thursday, October 20 and Saturday, October 22, 2016.