Drop the Schmaltz this Valentine’s Day and take your friends or just yourself to one of these spirited Anti-Valentine’s Day parties around Houston.
Whether you’re single, couter-cultural or just not in the mood, there are plenty of events around Houston on Valentine’s night to celebrate your singledom or just have a good time with your friends – singles and couples alike. We can assure you that there will still be people gathering to mix and mingle in Midtown and Rice Village, as well as on Main Street, Washington Avenue and White Oak. But if you really want to revel in sticking it to the whole notion of Valentine’s Day, these Houston events are here to help.
- Mixers and Elixirs at Houston Museum of Natural Sciences | Thursday, February 13 – Mix and mingle with cocktails and live music from the Spazmatics. If you’re feeling spited by your ex, $1 will get his or her name written on the back of a roach, which you can then enter in a roach race of course. Food will be available from H-town Streats, Good Dog Hot Dog and Tila’s Tacos Truckeria. $20. 7pm to 10pm.
- Love Sux: An Anti-Valentine’s Day Party at Howl at the Moon Downtown | Friday, February 14 – Bring a mutilated potato representing your ex for free admission. The bar will be offering $6 F-Bombs and $9 Ex-Boyfriends drink specials. There will be $500 in cash and prizes. Starts at 5pm.
- Love Sucks Party at Sherlock’s Baker St. Pub in Clear Lake | Friday, February 14 – Join in the fun with happy hour specials until 9pm, prizes for the best pick-up line, a heartbreaking piñata contest and more. 6pm to 9pm.
- Stop, Light Party at Sherlock’s Baker St. Pub on Westheimer | Friday, February 14 – Wear red, yellow or green to indicate your relationship status at this party with heartbreak trivia and happy hour pricing until 9pm. Red means you’re taken, yellow means it’s complicated, and green means you’re looking to mingle. 7pm to 10pm.
- True Love of Beer at Underdogs Sports Pub on Washington Avenue | Friday, February 14 – Enjoy a few specially tapped beers for $5 each along with some Valentine’s Day-themed treats at this low-key celebration that doesn’t care if you’re single or paired off. All night.
- Love Sucks Valentine’s Day Bash at Baker St. Pub and Grill in Rice Village | Friday, February 14 – Bring a PG-rated photo of your ex and join in the dart competition, enjoy complimentary heartbreak cake, dip into fresh cold-hearted margaritas and more. 7pm to 10pm.
- Love Sucks V-Day Party at Baker St. Pub in Katy | Friday, February 14 – Enjoy lonely hearts games, competitions and drink specials. Arrive at 6pm for No Label’s Elda M Special Blend Cask at garnished with chocolate covered strawberries while they last. 6pm to 9pm.
- UnValentine’s Day: A Feast of Non-Commitment at the League of Extraordinary Brewers | Friday, February 14 – The League greets Valentine’s day with an event celebrating indifference and asks only that commit yourself to craft beer. Guests will visit six pairing stations and enjoy craft beer and food pairings from the new “Boyz II Chef” Pop-up Group. $65. Tickets will not be sold after 11am on Friday, February 14, 2014. 7:30pm.
- Stupid Cupid: Anti-Valentine’s Day Party at Dave and Buster’s | Friday, February 14 – Dress up in cocktail attire and mingle at this party for folks who just want to have a good time without worrying about Valentine’s Day. There will be a live DJ, chocolate fountain, unlimited simulation game play and a Champagne toast. $20 per person. 8pm to midnight.
- V-Day Proper Style at Montrose Proper | Friday, February 14 – Single or not, celebrate Valentine’s Day with art, music, candy, entertainment and complimentary wine. All ages are welcome (21 and up to drink). $5 donation to support autism awareness at the door. 8pm.